The Prosecutor’s Office reviews all divorce cases filed in Grand Traverse County to determine if any of the parties are indicating that a child was born or conceived during the marriage but is not the husband’s biological child.

The goal in these cases is to ensure that every child has 2 parents to help financially care for them. To reach this goal, if there is an indication that the husband is not biological father of a child, the Prosecutor’s Office assists the parties in understanding:
  • How to obtain the legally required genetic testing
  • What the law requires of them
  • What the law says
They do all of this so they can prove to the court that the husband is not that child’s biological father. 

Establish Paternity
If the court does issue an order saying the husband is not the father of a child, then the Prosecutor’s Office assists the mother in establishing paternity for that child.

Start A Divorce

In order to start a divorce, you can contact an attorney or file on your own.

Contact An Attorney
For assistance in locating an attorney contact the Grand Traverse / Leelanau / Antrim Bar Association at 231-922-4715 or visit their website.

You may also visit the Michigan Legal Help website for more information.

File On Your Own
To file on your own, we recommend using any of the following resources:
  • Attend a free legal clinic
  • Contact Legal services of Northern Michigan at 231-941-0071 or visit their website
  • Contact Third level Crisis Center at 231-922-4800 or visit their website
  • Contact Women’s Resource Center at 231-941-1210
  • Obtain the Michigan Divorce Book
Additional Forms
Additional Information